Thursday, October 18, 2012

A Moment of Silence Please...

I am embarrassed, ashamed, mortified, distraught
 and all other words like unto it.
 It has been 7 months since I have blogged...7 whole months.
 Pitiful...
 There is someone to blame. 
Her name is instagram, and OBVIOUSLY she is a temptress.
 As if I couldn't see her coming from a mile away, 
one of my very last blog posts was about her. 
I feel sorry for my little bliggity-blog,
 but am comforted by the fact that
 every single solitary day of my life 
is still being documented.
(often more than once each day, I gots it bad...)
Ms. Instagram is not only a temptress but also
 habit forming, addicting, familiar, recurrent
and all other words like unto it.
So...
 as to not leave out all those many months
 and BIG occasions that happened in our little world, 
i'm going to do a quick recap.
It's probably not going to be quick, 
grab a soda and get comfy.

We were using the pods as storage units 
while they were still sitting in the driveway


Once they got picked up,
I felt like we were moving all over again.
Stacks and stacks of boxes 
in every nook and cranny of the house
Oy Vey...

APRIL

After weeks of pushing said stacks of boxes 
from corner of room to corner of room,
I finally got some things workin in the littles' rooms



Then came Peter Cottontail, 
Hoppin down the bunny trial
Hippity hoppity Easter's on it's way...


MAY

Track season is here,
and I can faintly make out
 the sublime musical score of 
 "Chariots of Fire" 
in the distance.


Our oldest baby Dre qualified for the HS State meet. 
Forget about raining cats and dogs, 
every animal on old Macdonalds farm 
was dropping from the ominous skies.
Despite frigid temps, intermittent hail storms, and all those angry falling varmints,
he ran like the wind.

"Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move,
 my thoughts begin to flow."
-Henry David Thoreau

Then there was
The Beehive Bazaar.
It is such a fantastically hip show,
 I feel privileged to be a part of it.


Then I chopped my hair.
What was I thinking???


And then,
 as if someone suddenly pushed the fast forward button,
our oldest baby was graduating.


Surreal...

JUNE

This month brought balmy days and birthdays.
A ten year old Blythe and a Sibley who turned 12.


JULY

The celebratory month of Independence 
started with a bang 
unlike any other... 
A mountainside all ablaze, 
that was far too close for comfort.


The fire was soon contained and
 we were reminded to be forever grateful 
to those who
 fight for our safety, our independence and our country. 





Our summer was filled with shave ice...


and skating, swimming, and strategies...


and ended with Sundance.




AUGUST

That pesky fast forward button got pressed again
 and we were dropping our biggest brother off at college.


The littles were nearly swept away 
in a flash flood of family tears.
Daddy almost had to break out the scalpel 
in an attempt to surgically remove my death grip.
And i suddenly felt as if this boy 
couldn't possibly be my "little man"
who just yesterday 
was littering the floor under his highchair with Cheerios
 and perfecting his name in  purple sharpie 
on the living room wall.
But it IS him,
and we will miss him 
every minute of everyday.


Our boys started football 
and our Blythe went to soccer camp.


And then,
just before the CRAZY fully set in,
the countdown was on.
 6 DAYS UNTIL SCHOOL STARTS!
Only 6 more days yo... 


AND THEN THAT GLORIOUS THING CALLED SCHOOL WAS HERE.

Sibley was the first to go,
 as all new 7th graders do.


Today she didn't die
Today she didn't forget her locker combination
Today she didn't get lost
Today her teachers weren't mean
Today no one said her hair was "puffy"

The manic early morning tears were in vain.
Today was a good day.
A day of firsts for our little big girl.

The next day
 the rest of the school joined the seventh graders.
Christian had a good talking to 
about the responsibilities of being
 a kind and helpful 
big brother.
I think he will step up to the job
(or else)

an hour later 
the littles were off...


(new shoes make you run faster you know)

Only having 2 in elementary school is crazy.
My babies are getting old.
Which in turn means 
so am I...

 a perfect segway into 

SEPTEMBER

and my birthday.

And was it ever a birthday!!!


9 scavenger hunt filled hours.
I went from destination to destination, 
each time receiving an envelope filled with 
witty words and crazy clues
leading me to the next 
landing place.
A different friend awaited my arrival at each spot. 
It was beyond delightful.

Got my toes did
Saw "The Words"
Ate lunch at Zupas
Got my nails did
Indulged in some soy chai, 
while I indulged in the likes of
 Austen, Dickens, and Burnett
(quite possibly my favorite gifts)
Then on to 
"an establishment where it takes a keen eye to hit your mark"
TARGET of course!
Met up with my lover 
(the mastermind behind this adventure)
for dinner at our favorite place to eat when we were courting.
And finally
home to our anxious babies 
for cake, ice cream, and kisses.
This man of mine knows me well.
Just another reason why he is
my favorite and my best...

Then I started crafting
and crafting
and crafting some more,
so that on the first day of 

OCTOBER

i could fill my neglected little etsy shop
with Halloween goodness.



and thanks to so many of you,
it's nearly sold out.
My heart is full 
(and needs a vacation)

You likewise,
 are probably in need of a respite
(or at least a quick nap) 
for making it to the end of this post.

A post that brought my little blog back to life.
A post that quite possibly only a mother could love.
 A post after 7 loong months 
and that is cause for celebration.

 If you've made it this far,
you've seen a glimpse into our crazy happenings.
And maybe,
just maybe,
want to stick around awhile.
So here's to this blog,
ramblings, grammatical errors, run-on sentences and all.
Welcome back...






4 comments:

  1. WOW Courtie! This post must have taken some time! Awesome recap! Love your pictures and your ramblings, grammatical errors, run-on sentences and all! "Welcome back!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you're back! beautiful family, awesome rooms/stuff/ideas (love it all!) and so fun to spot a little boy doll that i made! kind of exciting for me.. what an awesome birthday you had! and i love your halloween crafts. so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. every time i think of doing a blog recap...i don't. so, good job! i feel most people are neglecting their blogs these days (except the big-wigs). you aren't alone.

    love love love that halloween giraffe! i neber did see her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been seduced by instagram too. My last blog looks like yours. Complaining and loving the ease of instagram. But your recap is award winning.

    ReplyDelete